Advice on care
Impartial Care Fee Advisers

Advice on care

Experts in paying for care

Care Act and effect on long term care funding in England

advice on care

The Care Act has started to change adult social care in England and in particular how long term care is will be funded in England. Although large parts of it have already been introduced, due to budgetary constraints many of the funding changes were postponed until at least April 2020.

The Care Act did :-

  • Introduced an improved Universal Deferred Payments Scheme. This scheme which should now be offered to all homeowners whose non-property capital doesn’t exceed £23,250 (2016/17) is designed to prevent anyone needing care, having to sell their home immediately, just to pay care fees. Providing other non-property capital is less than these limits you can now ask your Local Authority to pay them on your behalf until you do eventually sell any property. Please note: You will still be deemed to need to fund your own care as a result of the value of your home, but this Universal Deferred Payments Scheme allows you to defer selling and can even allow you to rent out any property and receive extra income which can then help reduce the debt you will be building up with the Local Authority. It therefore acts as an IOU. Unlike the scheme it replaced, this new scheme allows councils to add interest from day one on any debt built up. To read more about whether you may qualify for this scheme read out dedicated Universal Deferred Payments Scheme page

However, both the proposed Cap on personal contributions - expected to be originally set at £72,000 in April 2016, and increasing the Upper Capital Threshold from £23,250 to £118,000 were postponed until 2020 at the earliest.

So for many, the status quo remains, for the foreseeable future at least. Consequently, if you live and need care in England and have capital (including in many instances the value of your home) exceeding just £23,250 (2016/17) you will deemed to have to pay for your own care. If this is the case you may like to read our page on how to pay for your own care.

Request your Care Fees Consultation

Let an adviser help you assess whether the Care Act will make any difference to you?

If not, they will be able to advise you on all other care funding options and possibly help you save considerable sums of money


Contact us

Head Office Address:
Advice on Care
267 Barrowby Road, Grantham, Lincolnshire, NG31 8NR

Southern Regional Office Address:
Advice on Care
Abbey House, 1650 Arlington Business Park, Theale, Reading, Berks, RG7 4SA

Telephone: 01476 589 567



Financial News

Our Digital Magazine

To receive every issue of our magazine by email, simply register your name and email address in the form below.

Cookie Policy    Privacy Policy    Disclaimer

The information contained in this web site is for general information only and is not financial, investment or tax advice. It is also subject to the UK regulatory regime and is therefore restricted to consumers based in the UK. If you would like to discuss a particular issue or generally ask us how we can advise on your particular situation then please contact us.

Advice on Care is a trading style of Keith Hargraves who is an appointed representative of Intrinsic Financial Planning Limited and Intrinsic Mortgage Planning Limited, which are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Intrinsic Financial Planning Limited and Intrinsic Mortgage Planning Limited are entered on the FCA register ( under reference 440703 and 440718.

© Copyright 2014 Advice on Care. Website Design by Goldmine Media.