Advice on care

Advice on care

Domiciliary Care – Care at Home

advice on care

When an older person starts to struggle with normal tasks of daily living, the preferred option is usually to arrange suitable care at home. Such care is referred to as Domiciliary Care and is designed to enables the individual to continue to live in his or her own home for as long as possible. Indeed the basic premise of both central government and local authority’s thinking is to try and facilitate staying at home wherever possible. providing it’s safe to do so.

Types of Care at Home

Domiciliary care services can include any combination of :-

1. Personal care, examples of which include: Washing and dressing, help with toileting, meal preparation, aiding with mobility 
2. Domestic help in and around the home, which includes cleaning, laundry and help with shopping.
3. Medical help in the home including changing dressings and administering medication.

How much care will be available?

The amount of domiciliary care delivered by the Local Authority will vary depending on your needs and will be determined by a Social Services care assessment. 

It will regularly take the form of regular pop in visits, but increasingly due to budgetary constraints these may only last for 15 or 30 minutes and frequency will depend upon the level of need assessed, but once again is unlikely to total much more than 3 hours a day.

Increasingly such domiciliary care is now outsourced to appointed care agencies, or you are offered a weekly cash equivalent - called a personal budget or direct payment - for you to source your own care. 

Any such care or personal budget is not however, offered to everyone. First they will carry out a needs assessment to determine what level and how much care you need and each local authority has set their own minimum standard before they will help, with most authorities now only helping people who have substantial needs, but this does vary so you should check with your own local authority’s social services department.

The financial assessment- means testing for domiciliary care

Should you be deemed as needing help, they will then carry out a means test to see if you should be paying for your own care or at least be contributing towards it. 

Whilst there is no national rules for when local authorities charge for domiciliary care services (unlike means testing for care in a care home), most English local; authorities are now following the same guidelines as laid down for paying for residential care as detailed by the Care Act. 

Step 1: First they will look at your savings/capital/assets (but not the value of your home as you are still going to live in it) and if your assessable capital exceeds just £23,250 (England 2021/2) whilst they would help arrange any care required, you would be expected to pay for it yourself - at least until your savings fell below the limit. However, some services like the district nurse would still be provided free of charge as these are part of the NHS.

Step 2: Even if your capital is less than £23,250 (England 2021/2), they look at your income (including any state benefits you may be entitled to but not yet claiming and also “notional” or theoretical income they derive you could get from any savings greater than £14,250 (England 2021/2) at a rate of £1 per week extra income for every £250 of capital greater than £14,250), to see if your total income is greater than the amount the Government deems anyone needs to live on – a so called “Minimum Income Guarantee” or “Protected Income”. Notionally this protected income is set each year in line with the basic amount of Pension Credit plus 25%, but can be increased to allow for disability and extra health related expenditure that’s deemed necessary. 

So as the current weekly rate (2021/2) for Guaranteed Pension credit for a single person is £173..75 this currently gives a protected weekly amount of income of £216.43 (2021/2) (without any allowances being made for extra necessary expenditure or disability).

Step 3: If your income exceeds this protected amount, they expect you to pay a percentage of this difference towards the cost of the care provided (or it reduces the amount of any direct payment or personal budget awarded).

Please note: This is only a description of how local authorities assess your means in England. Different rules may apply in Scotland or Wales

Financing Care in Your Own Home (England)

Even if your Local Authority will provide some care at home, the quantity and consistency of the care you receive can often leave a lot to be desired and may even be insufficient.

Should you want more hours, or more consistency of domiciliary care, and certainly if your non-property capital exceeds just £23,250 (2021/2), the only option you may have is for your or family to pay for it yourself. 

If this is the case, how can you afford better quality of care?

Well, much will depend on just how much money you have.

Should you be fortunate enough to have a considerable sum, one option is to consider purchasing an immediate needs annuity or care fees funding plan.

To get your free no obligation quote for a care fees funding plan, complete our simple care fee funding quotation request form and our regulated specialists Care Financial will call you to discuss in more details.

If, you don't already have sufficient money, providing you are a homeowner you could consider releasing some equity from your home to provide the necessary funds. To find out more information about equity release visit equity release.

Contact us

Head Office Address:
Advice on Care
267 Barrowby Road, Grantham,
Lincolnshire, NG31 8NR

Financial News

Our Digital Magazine

To receive every issue of our magazine by email, simply register your name and email address in the form below.

Cookie Policy    Privacy Notice    Disclaimer

The information contained in this web site is for general information only and is not financial, investment or tax advice. It is also subject to the UK regulatory regime and is therefore restricted to consumers based in the UK. If you would like to discuss a particular issue or generally ask us how we can advise on your particular situation then please contact us.

© Copyright 2021 Advice on Care.