Advice on care
Impartial Care Fee Advisers

Advice on care

Experts in paying for care

Paying for long term care in Scotland

advice on care

Domiciliary Care (care at home) in Scotland

If you are over 65, living in Scotland and have been assessed by the Social Work Service department of your Local Authority as needing care at home, they will provide it free of charge, although you will still need to pay for non-personal care such as;- cleaning, day care, laundry, meals on wheels etc. yourself. This doesn't affect your entitlement to Attendance Allowance or Care component of Disability living allowance.

If you are under 65 it is means tested and each local authorities apply different criteria as to who they will help dependent on need.

Care in a Care Home

In Scotland the cost of care in a care home is broken down into three constituent parts.

  • "Hotel" or accommodation Costs
  • Personal Care
  • Nursing

The Scottish Government, on the face of it, would seem is more generous than the English as in Scotland providing your needs have been assessed by your local Social Works Department, they will make flat rate contributions towards any Personal and if necessary Nursing Care you require, based on your physical/care needs and not financial means. A Financial means test is only carried out to determine whether you have to pay for any "Hotel" or accommodation costs. The amount they are currently prepared to pay is:

£171 per week Personal Care contribution and an additional
£78 per week if Nursing Care is required (2015/16)

However, Personal Care contribution is only made if you are over 65 and then if you take it you lose your entitlement to Attendance Allowance or the Care Component of the Disability Living Allowance, worth currently £82.30 per week at the higher rate or £55.10 per week at the (lower rate – for Attendance Allowance) or (middle rate if Disability Living Allowance) both rates are those applying in 2015/16. Also since June 2015 (unlike in England & Wales) they have ceased providing free NHS Continuing Healthcare to new applicants even if your needs are primarily medical needs unless your needs can only be properly met in a hospital. This means more people will have to be financially assessed to see if they need to pay for their own "hotel or board"costs.

Means Testing

Means testing in Scotland is only done to see if you would also qualify for help towards "Hotel" or accommodation costs.

Those with personal capital assessable assets (and ½ of any jointly held assessable assets) exceeding only £26,250 (2015/16) have to pay for all of their accommodation costs.

Only those currently below: £16,250 (2015/16) qualify for the maximum Local Authority budget, often known as the standard rate or contract rate. Unlike in England this rate doesn't vary from one local authority to another as there is a National Care Home Contract (NCHC) which standardises terms and conditions for local authority funded residents. During 2015/16 this sets the standard rate at

£609.31 with nursing care
£524.67 without nursing care

Of course you can choose a care home which charges above this standard rate for "Hotel" costs but you or a third party, will have to pay the difference.

Even where you do qualify for this standardised rate, they will expect you to pay them all of your income with the exception of Personal Expenses Allowance which in Scotland is (£25.05 per week 2015/16) and if over 65, £6 per week (if single) or £9 per week (if a couple) (2015/16) Pension Savings Disregard, away from you as contributions towards their funding.

Those whose capital exceeds the lower threshold but doesn't exceed the Upper Threshold will have the value of any capital above the lower limit theoretically converted into extra "tariff income" at a rate of £1 extra "notional income" for every £250 worth of capital exceeding the lower limit.

This is then added to any actual income received or you would be eligible for, if you claimed it, e.g. benefits. The total is then compared to the standard rate the Scottish Government has agreed. If your combined weekly income figure exceeds it you would need to pay for your own care until your capital reduced to such a level as the "income" didn't meet the standard rate. If the combined income, is lower then your local social works department will pay the standard rate but would expect you to pay them all of your income except the Personal Expenses Allowance.

If your capital does exceed £26,250 (2015/16) and need to pay for your own accommodation, but would like to ensure that at least some of your hard earned capital preserved for your beneficiaries then it would pay you to get your FREE Care Fee Plan Quotes ask us about how much a care fees funding plan (formerly referred to as a care fees annuity) would cost.

Professional Care Fees Advice

If you need to pay for your own care, it would pay you to speak to one of our professional care fee advisers today on 01476 589567

Free Care Fee Funding Plan Quotes

If you need to fund your own care and live in Scotland, find out for FREE just how affordable a care fees funding plan could be.
Provide us with a few details here and one of our advisers will call you back to discuss them.


just reitirement

Please note: These plans are not offered direct by the insurers

A Simple Guide To Care Fee Funding Plans

If you would like to find out more about how a care fees plan works, download a FREE copy of our impartial guide today.

Contact us

Head Office Address:
Advice on Care
267 Barrowby Road, Grantham, Lincolnshire, NG31 8NR

Southern Regional Office Address:
Advice on Care
Abbey House, 1650 Arlington Business Park, Theale, Reading, Berks, RG7 4SA

Telephone: 01476 589 567



Financial News

Our Digital Magazine

To receive every issue of our magazine by email, simply register your name and email address in the form below.

The information contained in this web site is for general information only and is not financial, investment or tax advice. It is also subject to the UK regulatory regime and is therefore restricted to consumers based in the UK. If you would like to discuss a particular issue or generally ask us how we can advise on your particular situation then please contact us.

Advice on Care is a trading style of Keith Hargraves who is an appointed representative of Intrinsic Financial Planning Limited and Intrinsic Mortgage Planning Limited, which are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Intrinsic Financial Planning Limited and Intrinsic Mortgage Planning Limited are entered on the FCA register ( under reference 440703 and 440718.

© Copyright 2014 Advice on Care. Website Design by Goldmine Media.