Advice on care
Impartial Care Fee Advisers

Advice on care

Experts in paying for care

Paying for care in Scotland

advice on care

Domiciliary Care (care at home) in Scotland

If you are over 65, living in Scotland and have been assessed by the Social Work Service department of your Local Authority as needing care at home, they will provide it free of charge, although you will still need to pay for non-personal care such as;- cleaning, day care, laundry, meals on wheels etc. yourself. This doesn't affect your entitlement to Attendance Allowance or Care component of Disability living allowance.

If you are under 65 it is means tested and each local authorities apply different criteria as to who they will help dependent on need.

Care in a Care Home

In Scotland the cost of care in a care home is broken down into three constituent parts.

  • "Hotel" or accommodation Costs
  • Personal Care
  • Nursing

Providing your needs have been assessed and agreed by your local Social Works Department, they will make flat rate contributions towards any Personal and if necessary Nursing Care you require, based on your physical/care needs and not financial means. A Financial means test is only carried out to determine whether you have to pay for any "Hotel" or accommodation costs. 

£174 per week Personal Care contribution and an additional
£79 per week if Nursing Care is required (2018/19)

However personal Care contribution is only made if you are over 65 and then if you take it you lose any entitlement to Attendance Allowance or the Care Component of the Disability Living Allowance you may have been receiving. These are currently worth £85.60 per week at the higher rate or £57.30 per week at the (lower rate – for Attendance Allowance) or (middle rate if Disability Living Allowance) both rates are those applying in 2018/19.  

Means Testing

Means testing in Scotland is only done to see if you would also qualify for help towards “Hotel” or accommodation costs.

Those with personal capital assessable assets (and ½ of any jointly held assessable assets) exceeding only £27,250 (2018/19) have to pay for all of their accommodation costs.

Only those currently below: £17,000 (Scotland-2018/19) qualify for the maximum Local Authority budget, often known as the standard rate or contract rate. Unlike in England, this rate doesn't vary from one local authority to another as there is a National Care Home Contract (NCHC) which standardises terms and conditions for local authority funded residents. During 2018/19 this sets the standard rate at

£689.73 p.w. for nursing care 
£593.89 p.w. without nursing care

Of course you can choose a care home which charges above this standard rate for “Hotel” costs but you or a third party, will have to pay the difference.

Even where you do qualify for this standardised rate, you will have to pay all of your income received (including most benefits, or any which you may otherwise be eligible for if you claimed them), although you will be allowed to retain a Personal Expenses Allowance (currently, £27.00 per week Scotland 2018/19) and if you are over 65 and getting Savings credit - either £6.30 per week (if single) or £9.45 per week (if a couple) Scotland-2018/19) Pension Savings Disregard. If you are married or have a civil partner who needs some of your pension to continue living at home, you will also be allowed to keep - 50% of any private pensions you receive- but only if you pass at least 50% to them, (anything less would be ignored).  

Those whose capital exceeds the lower threshold £17,000 (Scotland- 2018/19) but doesn’t exceed the Upper Threshold will have the value of any capital which exceeds the lower limit, theoretically converted into extra “tariff income” at a rate of £1 extra “notional income” for every £250 worth of capital exceeding the lower limit.  

This is then added to any actual income received or you would be eligible for, if you claimed it, e.g. benefits. The total is then compared to the standard rate the Scottish Government has agreed. If your combined weekly income figure (including this “tariff income”) but minus your personal allowance (and if married or have a partner who needs some of your income to live on 50% of just your private pension) exceeds this maximum rate, you would need to pay for your own care until your capital reduced to such a level as the “income” didn't meet the standard rate.  

If the combined income, is lower, then your local social works department will pay the standard rate but would expect you to pay them all of your income except the Personal Expenses Allowance and 50% of any private pension but only if you need to and do pay this to a spouse or partner to live on. 

If your capital does exceed £27,250 (Scotland-2018/19) and need to pay for your own accommodation, but would like to ensure that at least some of your hard earned capital preserved for your beneficiaries then it would pay you to get your FREE no obligation Care Fees Annuity quote .

Professional Care Fees Advice

If you need to pay for your own care, it would pay you to speak to one of our professional care fee advisers today on 0800 180 4336.

Ensuring Quality Care

If you need to pay for your own care a care fees annuity can be a great way of avoiding running out of money and ensuring you can continue to receive the care you or your relative deserves.

Discover just how much a care fees annuity would be, simply by asking us to obtain your quotes, simply by providing your details here.

Please note: These plans are not offered direct by the insurers

A Simple Guide to Care Fee Annuities

If you would like to find out more about how a care fees plan works, download a FREE copy of our impartial guide today.


Contact us

Head Office Address:
Advice on Care
267 Barrowby Road, Grantham, Lincolnshire, NG31 8NR

Southern Regional Office Address:
Advice on Care
40 Caversham Road Reading, Berks, RG1 7EB

Telephone: 0800 180 4336



Financial News

Our Digital Magazine

To receive every issue of our magazine by email, simply register your name and email address in the form below.

Cookie Policy    Privacy Notice    Disclaimer

The information contained in this web site is for general information only and is not financial, investment or tax advice. It is also subject to the UK regulatory regime and is therefore restricted to consumers based in the UK. If you would like to discuss a particular issue or generally ask us how we can advise on your particular situation then please contact us.

Advice on Care is a trading style of Keith Hargraves who is an appointed representative of Quilter Financial Services Limited and Quilter Mortgage Planning Limited, which are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Quilter Financial Services Limited and Quilter Mortgage Planning Limited are entered on the FCA register ( under reference 440703 and 440718.

© Copyright 2019 Advice on Care.